Back To School Dental Care Tips
Spanish Trail Dentistry proudly offers quality dental care for children, teens and adults who live in Pensacola, FL and its surrounding areas. Orthodontist, Dr. Jeff Strickland, is dedicated to helping his patients achieve optimal oral health and teach them proper oral care techniques to ensure that they maintain it. Our team knows how important it is for our patients to come into a welcoming environment and leave fully knowledgeable on what treatment they just received and how they can avoid any future oral complications. Going back to school is exciting, but it is also important that our students make healthy choices and maintain proper dental care throughout the academic year.
Oral Care Tips For Parents & Their Students
Sometimes being back at school, students will forget to practice proper oral care techniques and make savvy oral health decisions. No need to worry. Here are some tips to help you child stay on top of this.
- Prepare good healthy snacks and lunches that contain minimal amounts of sugar.
- Encourage your child to drink white milk or water at school instead of juices, sodas or sports drinks. Consumption of water is essential for staying properly hydrated and it flushes their system, including particles and bacteria that linger in their mouth.
- If your student plays sports, make sure they have a mouth guard to use during practice or games. There are standard mouthguards, but custom mouthguards are available as well.
- Never let your student leave for school without brushing their teeth. Get them excited about oral care by letting them choose their own toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash.
- Have your student floss at least once a day.
- Make sure they are up to date with their semi-annual visits to our office for cleaning and check up.
Proper oral care is important for each of us to implement into our lives, regardless of age. The earlier we instill these practices into our students, the better off their self-esteem and overall health will be.
We know that you love your child and their overall well-being is important to you. Therefore, it is vital that you implement proper oral care and healthy practices into their lifestyle now! If you have any questions or concerns about proper oral care for your student as they return to school, contact us at our office, we are glad to help. Give us a call to schedule an appointment for their cleaning if they haven’t come in yet. We look forward to seeing you in our office and hearing how your child’s school year is going so far!